Thursday 28 June 2012

Greeting cards and the Dragonfly

I have been busy making a few birthday cards. I won't show them up close until the recipients have received them, so here are just a few titbits:





Now, one card I just have to show in full (the lady who I made this for is not a blogger), and that is the DRAGONFLY.

Chris Richards at Ella's Craft Creations has embroidered some stunning dragonflies. She is a master stitcher and has kindly offered a tutorial on her blog. What an excellent idea for a birthday card, I thought, and following Chris's simple and clear instructions made this little one.
It is not in Chris's league but I am quite pleased with the result. Actually it was much easier than I had anticipated and so much fun. I can highly recommend having a go.
One change I made was to use pressed Angelina fibres for the wings instead of the organza ribbon in the instructions.






14 comments:

Chris(craft) and Dave(photos) Richards said...

Oh you clever lady ! I am so happy that it turned out so brilliantly !! Now you can do all sorts of amazing ones.....all different.....Thank you so much for having a go at these little beauties....
Well done to you !! Please do show your dragonfly on 'stitchin fingers', so that people can admire YOUR skill!!!!!
love and hugs
chris richards
xxxxx

City Krafters said...

These are lovely

Anonymous said...

wow, wow! you a r e having fun!
irmelin

Unknown said...

lovely dragon fly

The Pied Pedlar said...

You do such wonderful hand work.I love the Dragon fly.
Tricia

Annet said...

Lovely details and the dragonfly is gorgeous!

Sandy said...

It's a great idea for cards. Thanks for commenting on my blog.

J Honda said...

Fabulous! Chris' work is phenomenal and I am so glad she posted it all - now look at you!! Fabulous~! absolutely beautiful!

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you all for the kind words.
With the instructions of a great and inspiring teacher like Chris, it was easy to make. This idea could be developed for all sorts of winged insects.

libbyquilter said...

what a gorgeous dragonfly and your stitchwork is wonderful to look at and shows great skill~!

:-)
libbyQ

margaret said...

what a wonderful dragonfly, so glad Chris shared her technique with us all. Lucky friends to be receiving cards you have stitched I am sure they will be well loved.

Pippas quilts said...

they look so delicate, beautiful

latha said...

This dragon fly is awesome !!!! It turned up just like Chris...
Your friends are so lucky to have it. BEAUTIFUL !!!

Anniesantiago said...

I like the idea of using pressed Angelina!
Beautiful!