Saturday 1 June 2013

TAST #68 Slipped Detached Chain Stitch

To fully enjoy the embroidery fun of TAST, go to Pintangle.

TAST #68 Slipped Detached Chain Stitch also has the name, Tulip Stitch. Guess why?

Right, it resembles a tulip, and I just had to make some Dutch beauties
Anyone who read the Language of Flowers from the link on my previous blog post knows that:
Red tulips = undying love
Purple tulips = forever love
Yellow tulips = hopeless love
This floral field is full of love!




























I used some small scraps of fabric and a bit of wadding for this landscape, rather than toss the scraps in the bin. The blue sky is of 'nylon mesh' (used for stockings and tights, and of course in Mesh craft).

For my sampler I added a few simple stitches and then tried out Annet's idea for a spider. Rather than a cute spider like hers,  my needle created a four-legged wingless fly, and in a flash it had multiplied. There is now an infestation of hairy flies on my sampler. Any suggestion for pest control? DDT? Fly swatter? Seam ripper? Or just let them be?

16 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

I love the tulips, whatever the meaning ... and the roots running through the soil. No thanks on the critters though. They look like blue ticks to me!

margaret said...

Queenie you have done wonders with this latest stitch, beautiful tulips set in a landscape and as for those flies,what a great way to show the stitch I think you should let them be.

Anonymous said...

I love your little sampler, I like the little flies. I have found the tulip stitch very usefull in the past and you have made a beautiful picture with it!

Queeniepatch said...

You are so observant, and saw the roots in the soil!
Spiders, ticks, flies or whatever, they are YUCK!

Queeniepatch said...

I will let the flies be; they add a new dimension to the sampler. The tulips were far nice to make!

Queeniepatch said...

It was the first time for me to use the Tulip stitch and it does look like a tulip. Easy and good looking. I wish my chenille stitches could look a bit less creepy!

Annet said...

Love your tulips field! Your flies looks very familiar, I'm glad I could inspire you with my spider. Now about controlling them, maybe you can stitch a bird.

Queeniepatch said...

Oh, Annet! You are the BEST! Of course a bird would be the smartest way to rid the sampler of flies!

Pamela said...

The tulip garden is beautiful!

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you, Pamela.
This was a fun stitch to work with!

Lins Artyblobs said...

I like your flies, don't swat them. Slipped detached chain stitch - I think it should be called tulip stitch, they look just like them.

carorose said...

I love the flowers(up close) and the spiders, (from a distance.)
Now what is 'mesh craft?

Queeniepatch said...

To be quite honest, I like the flies, too! I am just a bit disappointed they did not want to form into lovely spiders; did you see Annet's cutie? If Tulip Stitch was the official name, how easy wouldn't it be to remember this stitch?

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you.
Now about Mesh Craft, I might have to write a post on that. Watch this space!

Shami Immanuel said...

Like the tulip flowers. Idea of spider is great. I am behind in TAST. I will catch it up soon.

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you, Shami,
What I really like with TAST is that it is OK to lag behind and then catch up - there is never any time pressure. Looking forward to your stitches when you post.